Throughout the six towns Nickel Plate Arts serves, people from all walks of life are searching for ways to unplug, flex their creative muscle and connect with others who love the arts. Each person, artist and organization has a thread to contribute to make the fabric of our community stronger, more colorful and more viable.
We invite you to share your thread with us by becoming a member.
Explore our membership opportunities, get excited about growing the arts in our community, and join us! We would love to see your creative thread at Nickel Plate Arts.
All memberships are good for one year from the date of purchase.
For Business memberships, see Sponsorship below.
Nickel Plate Arts hosts rockin' arts events throughout the year. Check back regularly for the next event on our calendar.
Happening on our main campus, 107 S. 8th Street, Noblesville, IN. (one block south of the courthouse square). Scroll down to see classes offered in our Atlanta, Indiana location.
Maybe you know of a high school senior who needs some encouragement, or an elementary student who can't afford art supplies right now. Maybe you know an adult who is feeling isolated and just needs to know that someone cares. You can purchase an art kit for that person and we'll ship it directly to them! Your payment will help us ensure that needy families in Hamilton County have access to the tools they need to explore their own creative potential!
My years at Ball State University School of Architecture included design classes to study how to create buildings, functional interiors, and exterior spaces between and around buildings; how to be a curious observer of your surroundings; how light and shadow impart character; and how these environments will affect people. All provided a great foundation for today's painting projects.
Graduation was followed by many years of professional practice over a wide range of project types and geographic locations. As a part-time endeavor, I began painting with acrylics on larger canvases, often creating hard edge images that were clearly influenced by Robert Indiana's work. I also continued my photography of buildings, architectural details of buildings, flowers, and landscapes. My professional career replaced the creative painting for a number of years until 2009 when the brushes were once again in hand, working to discover my style. The study over time of painters like Monet, Miro, Kandinsky, and Pollock has distinctly influenced my current paintings.
Abstract impressionism has emerged as the preferred style and definition of my work. The use of "loose, spontaneous brushstrokes" to capture the essence of the subject can be seen in most of my current pieces. Spending time in the garden or taking in the scenic landscape from the back porch provides inspiration for new works as my painting style continues to evolve.
My preferred medium is acrylics using bold colors, as well as blended subtle tones, to create an interesting expression for subjects that include architectural elements, trees, and flowers.
Nickel Plate Arts Members lift each other up, advance the communities they take part in, and are incredibly talented. They hold offices, raise families, sing, dance, paint, sculpt, weave, weld, carve, draw, cook, photograph, film, act, and so much more. September is all about celebrating them in their artistic glory!
Ben Jennings - Dreamer Became A Nightmare The Day He Was Crowned A King For Me - Member Show
More of Michael's art can be viewed at Meyer Najem in Fishers on the second floor gallery during regular office hours. His show will remain open for viewing from July through September 2020.
These are books and items by local artists that have been donated to or purchased by Nickel Plate Arts. 100% of the proceeds from sales in this category support Nickel Plate Arts's programming and services.
Nickel Plate Arts is an organization that supports, promotes, and provides outstanding arts experiences in six communities along the Nickel Plate Railroad in Hamilton and Tipton County in Indiana. All of the artwork on this site has been created by local artists. 80% of proceeds go directly to the artists, and the remaining 20% goes towards our programming and events.